Parentage / Paternity

In order for a child and unmarried parents to be properly protected and afford the legal rights and responsibilities to which they are entitled, a parentage (paternity) action should be initiated in the county in which the child resides. Frequently, clients come to us where no action has been taken in the court system because the parents felt no need. Whether or not unmarried parents continue to get along, it is strongly urged that a court action protect each of them.  If there is no court case, it is possible that one parent could retract his or her agreement to terms which were informally entered into, and visitation or child support, as well as other issues, could be adversely affected.

Additionally, once a parentage case is filed, it may be necessary to make modifications from time to time. Such modifications could include visitation or parenting time, child support, miscellaneous other financial matters, custody or change in the child's residence and contribution to college and other expenses. At Goldstein and Associates, we handle these cases with skill and sensitivity.

To schedule an initial consultation, please call Goldstein & Associates/Law Offices-Mediation Center at (708) 479-0800 or contact us online.